-
December 30th, 2001, 08:06 AM
#1
dogstarman
Guest
Hey all...
I'm thinking of perhaps buying a light kit, but I have NO idea where to look for a basic, low cost kit that I could use for setting up basic shots. Nothing fancy. And don't laugh here, but my budget fot it would be around (maybe) $500. Not much, I know. I'm not looking to buy Arri lights or anything. Just some thing like a Key, Fill and maybe one more. Also, I'm going to be using them with K-40... so would I be better off just using 3400k photoflood bulbs in practical lamps and clamp lights to just bounce light around?
Obviously, the later would be cheaper by a mile, but I'm concerned about having enough light to get good exposure indoors with K-40.
Any thoughts? Oh, and PLEASE somebody give me a source that I can look at for ordering...
I'm looking at a B&H catalog right now at a Smith-Victor Q60-SGL kit that has three- 600w quartz lights w/ stands for $358 dollars (summer catalog so price is probably not valid anymore). But the quartz lamps are 3200k, so really no good for K-40...
..what to do, what to do...
------------------
-
December 30th, 2001, 11:20 AM
#2
PhillipF
Guest
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Smith Victor quartz lights that you found. My kit consists of Lowell lights as well as Smith Victor 740 and 720 lights with barndoors and I've never had a problem with them or any color that they give off. They will probably be some of the cheapest lights your gonna find. Go to B&Hs' website (www.B&Hphoto-video.com.....I think). Any other kit, (like a Lowell kit) will cost anywhere from $900.00 on up. S/V is a good choice.
PhilF
------------------
-
December 30th, 2001, 12:45 PM
#3
MovieStuff
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dogstarman:
I'm thinking of perhaps buying a light kit, but I have NO idea where to look for a basic, low cost kit that I could use for setting up basic shots.
I'm looking at a B&H catalog right now at a Smith-Victor Q60-SGL kit
But the quartz lamps are 3200k, so really no good for K-40...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
3200K is fine for K40. Technically, K40 is a "type A" film for use with 3400K lights but what's 200 degrees Kelvin among friends? You can always put a slight blue cooling filter on the camera if it means that much to you but I really don't think you'd see much difference at all if you used the 3200K lights.
You certainly do NOT want to go to pure 3400K bulbs for several reasons: A) They last only a fraction of the life of 3200K bulbs (which is why the industry went to 3200K bulbs!) and B) They're super hard to find for replacement, whereas 3200K bulbs are common.
Roger
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
-
December 31st, 2001, 04:35 AM
#4
dogstarman
Guest
Hmmm. Well, then I guess the question should be should I go for a photoflood kit or a quartz kit? Photofloods would be cheaper to get into, but would I regret that later...
Oh, and with those S-V kits: I have looked at the B&H site at both quartz and photoflood kits, and the S-V kits are very nice, but is there a barn doors set that can be attatched to them? They don't even come with one b.d.
------------------
-
December 31st, 2001, 04:42 AM
#5
MovieStuff
Guest
I would just go on ebay and look for a used Lowel DP kit; comes with 4 lights. Well under $600 or so and the nice thing about used lighting kits is that they either work or they don't. Not many moving parts, you know? The DP kits are practical and last a long time. They usually come with gel holders so that you can diffuse the lights as well. They can handle bulbs up to 1000 watts. You'll be blowing breakers like a pro in no time.
Roger
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
-
December 31st, 2001, 07:31 AM
#6
Matt Pacini
Guest
I'll tell you something I got, and have really been happy that I have them.
It's one of the old "Lowel Light" kits.
These take photofloods (or any common light screw-in) and clamp to anything, stands, chairs, doorknobs, branches, or can be gaffer taped to a wall, window, etc., and fit in this nifty little carrying case, which is about 12x10x4 inches. (It doesn't carry the bulbs, obviously).
You can hang lights anywhere, and you can use up to 500 watt photofloods, so that alone gives you 2500 watts.
They come with barndoors that fit over the bulbs, and I cut out diffusion material to soften the light if I need to.
I also have 2 Lowel Pro Lights, which are great for kickers, and a bunch of lights I modified, which are the old "Lotta-Lite" lights, with the handles removed, and a female 5/8 pin put on.
They are the 650watt PAR lights, you know, they look like a car headlight? I got them on ebay for anywhere from $3.00 to $15.00 each. I have about 14 of these, so we're talking like 10K just from those! They're great for overall ambient lighting to, by just aiming one at the ceiling.
I also have 2 650 watt Altman Fresnel lights.
I have more lights than this, but this is certainly more than enough for most things.
This is way under your budget, if you went this route. (Doesn't include stands, of course, but you don't even need stands for the Lowel Light kit.)
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
December 31st, 2001, 01:38 PM
#7
Scott Spears
Guest
I agree with the comments saying check out eBay. A great place to find inexpensive lighting. Also, check out local camera stores that sell used gear. I bought my first light kit, Smith Victor, for $250 which included a 1k focusable light, a 2 1K broad lights, a 600watt focusable (all open face) and stands. A couple of the stands sucked, so I dropped another $100 on decent stands and clamps.
I'd say go for a 1K or a 2K as your key which you punch through diffusion. Then use Matt's PAR lights for fill and background lights. Finally, use 500 or 600watt lights for kickers.
Scott
------------------
-
December 31st, 2001, 01:49 PM
#8
Scott Spears
Guest
I forgot to add that recently at a camera shop I picked up 2 1K Mole Baby Fresnel Lights and a Mole 2K Junior plus a stand all for $50 a piece. So for $150, I picked up 4K of lights. All needed barndoors and I've found some. You have to do some hunting, but you can find good deals.
At the same shop, I just bought a 600 watt Mole Tweenie in perfect shape for $230.
Sorry I had to brag.
Scott
------------------
-
January 4th, 2002, 02:44 PM
#9
Nigel
Guest
Go to B&H--they have some basic Lowell Kits that are nice. They aren't great but they will last. Look at the DP, Omni, Tota--These seem to be the most bang for the buck. They will get you by and are lightweight. Make a dimmer box from stuff you can get at the hardware store. Then buy some good gels and there you go. It is not a truly pro set-up but it is solid for independants.
Good Luck
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks